Friday, October 28, 2005

The view from Europe

As we pass the 2,000th American tombstone, Steve Bell of the Guardian captures the concerns of the moment.

Another view from Europe: some patriotic photographs to celebrate the glorious triumph of American civilization (via the Defeatists). I think Eolo Perfido understands America pretty well.

And while we are on the topic of patriotism:
"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country." E.M. Forster
UPDATE 10/30: There is an interesting discussion of Eolo Perfido, patriotism, the evil French, the virtuous Americans and torture going on over at The Defeatists.

4 Comments:

At 10/28/2005 5:16 PM, Blogger Comandante AgĂ­ said...

Thanks for the link to my post. That art exhibit really pissed off the wingnuts. Check out some of their comments.

 
At 10/29/2005 10:06 AM, Blogger velid said...

"When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in an American flag". Senator Huey Long.

He has obviously captured an important part of our contemporary political experience, as some American artists have noted as well. Those who most vehemently deny that patriotism is being used to muzzle dissent, suppress individual difference and oppress the weak tend to be those in favor of the process. They just like it that way.

 
At 10/29/2005 11:25 AM, Blogger theseeker said...

Excellent blog! Puts mine to shame. You are obviously very well informed and quite a bit more educated than myself. I really enjoyed your insight and writings. Sometimes I feel as if I've woken up in an alternate universe. Great to see a kindred soul willing to spend so much time writing about the issues that concern me. You should run for office! Really. I'm putting a link to your blog on my crappy blog site. Hope that's ok.

 
At 10/29/2005 11:43 AM, Blogger velid said...

Thanks for the nice comments, seeker. It is nice to know that someone appreciates my rants. Please do put up a link.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home