- Daniel Ellsberg considers how Bush might respond if there is another terrorist attack
In a recent speech (article/mp3*) Daniel Ellsberg takes this scenario as a starting point for exploring some of very darkest possibilities that might lie ahead, possibilities that he thinks we need to start planning to respond to now.
Ellsberg believes that in such an eventuality the majority of the US population would rally behind authority and that Bush would get everything he wants. Evidence suggests that what he wants includes:
- A new Patriot Act, like the original likely to have drafted in advance of the event to which it responds, that would make the old Patriot Act look like the Bill of Rights.
- Military rule in parts if not all of the country. Bush has already sent up trial balloons for this in his militarized plans for responding to a bird flu epidemic or future hurricanes.
- A draft
- War on Iran and Syria
- An Official Secrets Act
- Mass detentions of Moslems and their sympathizers. The gulag we are establishing across the globe might then be viewed as a pilot program.
* The audio of Ellsberg's talk, which is really worth a listen, via the excellent weekly show Unwelcome Guests (ug 281)
Update: There is recent interview with Ellsberg here.