Monday, February 20, 2006

Presidents day: a pseudo-holiday in song

Steven Sondheim came out with an amusing musical a while back called Assassins, which celebrated the long American tradition of presidential assassins. The best song is a duet between Squeaky Fromme, the Charles Manson hanger on who tried to kill Gerald Ford, and John Hinckley, the man who shot Reagan in order to impress Jodie Foster. Tragically, Hinkley's love proved to be of an inadequate caliber.

Here is a bit from the Hinckley-Fromme duet, titled Unworthy of your Love

[HINCKLEY]
I am nothing,
You are wind and water and sky,
Jodie.
Tell me, Jodie,
How I can earn you love.
I would swim oceans,
I would move mountains,
I would do anything for you.
What do you want me to do?

I am unworthy of your love,
Jodie, Jodie,
Let me prove worthy of you love.
Tell me how I can earn your love,
Set me free.
How can I turn your love
To me?

[FROMME]
I am nothing,
You are wind and devil and God,
Charlie,
Take my blood and my body
For your love.
Let me feel fire,
Let me drink poison,
Tell me to tear my heart in two,
If that's what you want me to do...

I am unworthy of you love,
Charlie darlin',
I have done nothing for your love.
Let me be worthy of your love,
Set me free...
And here are a few more recommended holiday tunes:
  1. Bullet --Misfits
  2. Lee Harvey --Asylum Street Spankers
  3. Shah Sleeps In Lee Harvey's Grave --Butthole Surfers
  4. John Wayne was a Nazi --MDC
  5. Henry Kissmyassinger --MDC
  6. Ballad Of Ronald Reagan --Austin Lounge Lizards
  7. Bonzo Goes To Bitburg --Ramones
  8. I Shot The Devil --Suicidal Tendencies
  9. Hinkley Had a Vision --Crucifucks
  10. Ronald Mcraygun --Dayglo Abortions
  11. Send George Bush A Pretzel --Darryl Cherney And The Chernobles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home