Friday, April 14, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

I

"It make my day," Mr. Moussaoui said several times when asked about one witness or another.

In his heavy French accent, he ridiculed the tearful testimony of several family members who told the jury how profoundly the attacks had affected their lives.

"I find it disgusting that some people will come here to share their grief," he said. Americans should know, he said, that grief is precisely what he and fellow fighters in Al Qaeda want to achieve. "We want to inflict pain on your country," he testified.

Asked by the prosecution about the account of a witness who had crawled to safety from a Pentagon corridor demolished on Sept. 11, 2001, Mr. Moussaoui replied, "I was sorry that he survived."

--'Moussaoui, Testifying Again, Voices Glee Over Witnesses' Accounts of Sept. 11 Grief' New York Times April 14, 2006
II

Spc. Sabrina Harman with the corpse of Iraqi detainee Manadel al-Jamadi
Abu Ghraib November 4-5, 2003

III

In the week before [Karla Faye Tucker's] execution, Bush says, Bianca Jagger and a number of other protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask.

Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with [Tucker], though. He asked her real difficult questions, like 'What would you say to Governor Bush?' "

"What was her answer?" I wonder.

"Please," Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "don't kill me."

--'Devil May Care,' Talk Magazine, September 1999 p. 106, quoted in Slate

1 Comments:

At 4/14/2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Comandante AgĂ­ said...

Is that photo from the reenactment of the crucifixion of Jesus? If so, it's not historically accurate. Women were not allowed to be Roman soldiers.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home