Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Yuri's Night

Jon Langford: Sputnik 57 from All the Fame of Lofty Deeds

45 Years ago today, on April 12th 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first human to go into space. Tonight there is a worldwide celebration of his achievement--on all 7 continents. The site has a nice video with some old footage of Gagarin set to music plus a few tunes. I thought I might suggest some more appropriate music.
  1. Sputnik 57--Jon Langford
  2. Space Oddity--David Bowie
  3. Mr. Spaceman--Holy Modal Rounders
  4. Space Monkey--Patti Smith
  5. Moon Rocks--Talking Heads
  6. Satellite of Love--Lou Reed
  7. Meet Space Pilot Jones--The Satellite Singers
  8. Whitey on the Moon--Gil Scott Heron
  9. UFO Attack--Asylum Street Spankers
  10. UFOs Big Rigs and BBQ--Mojo Nixon
  11. Mayan Saucers--El Vez
  12. When You See Those Saucers--The Georgia Catamounts and The Buchanan Brothers
  13. Sputnik--Roky Erickson and the Aliens

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 5:15 PM, Anonymous andy said...

I'd like to add three whole albums, with a couple of their song titles. Two by Sun Ra.
Space Is The Place:Space is the Place (21m14s!) & Rocket Number Nine.
Soundtrack to the film Space Is The Place:Calling Planet Earth & We Travel the Spaceways.
And (no this is a real album which I have) Hawkwind 1973 - Bring Me The Head of Yuri Gagarin:Gaga, Welcome to the Future,&,of course, Orgone Accumulator.

 
At 4/12/2006 5:42 PM, Blogger velid said...

Hey Andy,

Wow. So there really is an album called "Bring Me The Head of Yuri Gagarin." Is it any good? Of course, any song with "Orgone" in the title is worth serious consideration. JFC, I found the lyrics:

I've got an orgone accumulator
It makes me feel greater
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator

It's no social integrator
It's a one man isolator
It's a back brain stimulator
It's a cerebral vibrator

Those energy stimulators
Just turn your eyeballs into craters
But an orgone accumulator
Is a superman creator

It's no social integrator
It's a one man isolator
It's a back brain stimulator
It's a cerebral vibrator

I've got an orgone accumulator
And it makes me feel grater
I'll see you sometime later
When I'm through with my accumulator.

That's the Reich kind of poetry, man. You can even make it a ringtone for your cell phone.

 
At 4/17/2006 5:01 PM, Blogger ill man said...

Telstar. I think Thurston Moore and the guy from Gumball did a spooked out version of this oldie and from what I remember it definitely belongs on yr list

 
At 4/19/2006 2:02 PM, Blogger velid said...

Hi ill man,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home